How to make a kandi cuff. (senior project)

Hey guys, I’ll be doing my senior project on how to make kandi or more specifically, kandi cuffs. It’s almost like a friendship bracelet. Kandi cuffs are made out of beads and bracelets and ravers don’t just create kandi cuffs, they have created hundreds of other things out of kandi like kandi visors, gauntlets, necklaces, bags, bikinis, belts, etc. Kandi was a code name for drugs to keep the real fact that drugs were being sold during these events, called raves.  Raves and kandi originally started in England and then traveled across the world. Some people said that people would wear kandi to let you know that they were selling drugs but that has changed. Clearly, I don’t do drugs and most of us actually just wear the bracelets for decoration and show off. It’s basically just bracelet/jewelry making.  As times progressed, kandi got a new meaning.  In the 2000s, kandi represented friendship. They would lock hands like we do “unity” and trade pieces, then hug. Not only that but ravers adapted to nicknames to help describe who they were. I did an interview on a local raver named Ginger E Cande who makes kandi and helps contribute to a website that I used to research for my project called kandipatterns.com. She’s one of the top contributors to the site, posting hundreds of different kandi designs for people to make kandi. Kandi cuffs are bracelets that ravers and kandi kids use to show how colorful they are and as decoration while raving. Kandi cuffs are made out of beads and go by a pattern. They are made with beads of any color and string, depending on your choice.
            I chose kandi cuffs because I have made three before and making them were a lot of fun. Also, I’ve only made three so I could definitely use some more experience on how make more sense I haven’t made a kandi cuff in about 1 or 2 years. Besides, the ones I have made aren’t that great and I have messed up on some of the beads so they aren’t perfect and it means that I am still not experienced.
            I hope to learn how to make other kandi items besides kandi cuffs in the future but for now I want to master how to make kandi cuffs so that I am skilled enough to make other things like belts and bags. I want to better myself into making kandi cuffs. I will be putting up the tutorial with a video on my blog and will be bringing in some previous work on the past kandi cuffs I have made. I don’t think kandi cuffs are for everyone because not everyone is into wearing bracelets or trading them.
Here are some pictures of the kandi I made:
    


Now here are the interview questions.

1.     Why did you name yourself Ginger E Cande or was it a nickname?
Ginger Cand-e is my rave name. It was given to me by Hip-e because he said I was a ginger and sweet like candy and was good at making kandi. The -e is a rave family thing. Everyone "related" to my rave family has a -e in their name.
2.     Who thought you how to make kandi? Or did you teach yourself?
I knew how to make singles and ladders starting out then I looked online and YouTube and found a few tutorials. cellularmango xxgift37xx, and a few others that no longer have channels are some that I first watched. I caught onto the techniques very quickly and was soon making things just by looking at them.
What happen to celluarmango? I knew she/he had a channel but I didn't know they deleted it. Her mom did it's a long story. She made a new one but she hasn't updated it in a while.
3.     When did you start making kandi?
The day of my first rave 4 years ago. I had always liked kandi but never made it till then because I didn't feel it was right.
4.     Why did you start making kandi?
I had always liked it. I thought it looked cool and to be honest made me "look" like a raver. But I soon feel in love with the meaning and the bonds it created. I was brought up in the scene by old school kandi kids so that's where a lot of my "rave values" come from.
5.     And lastly what are some things people don't know about kandi?
I think a lot of people feel that they need to define every piece of kandi and categorize it. Or that they need a tutorial in order to make something. I feel like a lot of people have lost the more creative aspects in place for standardization. I wish people would be a little more adventurous with their kandi and just play. Who cares if it doesn't work out or looks silly? Just make something new that hasn't been done before and explore the possibilities.
The reason I had asked about cellularmango is because she was one of my favorite kandi makers. She had a YouTube channel where she had hundreds of videos on how to make different kandi. She also helped with kandipatterns.com and was honestly one of my favorite ravers. She made a new channel and reupload her videos but she hasn’t posted in a while like Ginger E Cande. The only reason I picked Ginger E Cande for the interview because I couldn’t find out what happened or where cellularmango went. I’ll post a link about how to make a basic kandi through a video on YouTube and a typed out tutorial:

Here's a video on how to make a basic kandi cuff: 
This video shows you how to make a basic kandi cuff and how to read patterns. 

What I used to make my kandi cuffs. I made my cuffs and mask a little differently. I use creatology beads from Michael’s and regular string people use to make the braided friendship bracelets since I couldn’t find clear string or wasn’t able to purchase it. Some say to use fishing string but I prefer just the clear regular string you can pick up from the craft store. I’ll show you a video on how to make a basic kandi cuff.

            Overall, what I learned the most about making kandi cuffs is how to improve myself. I wasn't so great before but now I think I can improve on making my next one. The interview I did on Ginger E Cande help me learn more about her and how she made her kandi. I learned some new ways on how to make different kandi designs because just making basic kandi cuffs.


Comments

Popular Posts